Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Introducing the Mouse and the Music

Hi there! I know you have all read the book "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" when you were little. If you haven't, the gist is that the mouse starts off getting a cookie. Once he has the cookie, he wants a glass of milk and then a napkin and then a bunch of other things all because he had the cookie. In the end, something triggers him to think about having a glass of milk, so of course he wants a cookie to go with it. In turn, the cycle starts all over again. In fact, the author Laura Numeroff went through a similar cycle herself. After "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" hit the shelves, she went on to write "If You Give a Pig a Pancake," "If You Give a Moose a Muffin" and other books along the same story line.

I have discovered lately (or been told rather), I am the mouse. Instead of cookies starting this whole cycle of events, for me, it's music. I listen to music, fall in love with a song and then a whole slew of other events follow such as: buying the music, impatiently waiting for tour dates to be announced, getting tickets for the show and buying merchandise at the show. Also, while I'm at a concert, I usually hear a new band I like and the process starts all over again. Not only does the cycle start over with a new band or artist but my obsession continues with the original artist. This results in me seeing way too many shows for the same artist and being introduced to more bands that start the sequence again.

So you see, I am the epitome of "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie".

No comments:

Post a Comment